Sunday, September 12, 2004

Bagpuss strikes back ...


Bagpuss and Clangers share the same opinion of Tony Blair

One of my great childhood heroes, Oliver Postgate, creator and narrator of Noggin the Nog, Ivor the Engine, Bagpuss and Pogles Wood has set up a Tony Blair hate page. Gerry Andersen brought excitement into my childhood with Thunderbirds and Captain Scarlet but Oliver Postgate gave me gentleness and whimsy. Even now the sound of his voice is more than capable of sending me off into a peaceful contented nap. If a decent, fluffy man like him feels compelled to throw up a series of anti-Blair essays you know things must be really, really bad.

What I must do now is come up with the best anti-Blair short film script that I can, before the next election, then beg this icon to narrate it for me. Millions of people between the age of 20 and 45 are sublimally programmed to respond positively to his voice. He has a true power. I wonder if he realises how much?

No comments: