Saturday, May 06, 2006

My mate Marmite


As has been pointed out a couple of times by way of comment in this blog, I am frequently cyncial about the effectiveness of (misguided) direct action against the woes of this world.


A recent Flickr group discussion about the significance of Marmite to the British way of life reminded me of a time when I was not so jaded. I'd like to share that memory to demonstrate my socially active credentials...

I took part in a Marmite eating boycott 25 years ago in response to the manufacturer, Beechams, having extensive business interests in the apartheid regime in South Africa.

This was a heavy burden for your average tree hugging social progressive to shoulder as Marmite was the preferred breakfast spread of vegetarian anti-apartheid campaigners across the UK.

But it was worth it and I like to believe that by switching to marmalade I helped free Nelson Mandela

I'd like to believe a lot of things


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hope you managed to get the marmite off the carpet.