Monday, June 04, 2007

The Labour Party is Full of Wankers pt1

Flickr is hosting a group called How We Are Now as part of an exhibition of the same name currently showing at Tate Modern

How We Are Now Tate Britain, 22 May — 2 September 2007 takes a unique look at the journey of British photography, from the pioneers of the early medium to today’s photographers who use new technology to make and display their imagery. To demonstrate the evolving nature of photography in the twenty-first century, Flickr photographs will be featured in the exhibition.

The answer to the question 'How We are Now?', for many of the contributors, seems to be self-indulgent, narcissistic, middle-class and white

Which is probably more reflective of the composition of the British Internet rather than Britain as a whole.

But not all of the photos lick donkey nuts and the group is worth a peek if you like looking at photographs

My contributions to date are…







… though whether they’ve actually made it to the slide shows in Tate Modern I don’t know. Some of more narcissistic and self-indulgent contributors have admitted to visiting Tate Modern to see their pictures. Given that something like 4,000 photos have been submitted to date that strikes me as scoring a solid ‘9’ on the Sad-o-Meter

Only after I submitted by humble selection did I realise that I’d been to drawn to them not because they were particularly good but because they show a London that doesn’t get much representation in the mainstream media – and when it does it’s normally with a sneer

When it comes to being demonised, being a member of the white working/ under class is second only to being a Muslim

And if you read most of the papers you’d be forgiven for believing that everyone in that underclass woke up one day and consciously decided...

I know, I’m going to spend my shorter than average life-span eating shit food, watching shit television, living in a shit council flat, getting tanked-up and siring illegitimate children as often as my social security money allows


Yes, of course, that’s what they’ve all done.

And it’s nothing a few ASBOs can’t solve




There’s something I’ve been thinking about since someone posted a link the Mario Savio’s famous (in America anyway) ‘gears of the machine’ speech under a post I made about the forthcoming ‘Taking Liberties’ documentary...

The most dangerous group to any Ruling System are those people who are both excluded and educated. And if exclusion is an integral part of that System, well, you can't include those people so there’s only one way to neutralize them...

Fuck their schools up

I am acutely conscious of the fact that if I had been born in the same circumstances as I was but 25 years later, both my primary and secondary schools are now seriously sub-standard. And even if I had got past that obstacle and still been eligible for University place I would either have not gone because of the cost or gone and been saddled with debts that would have turned me into a compliant debt-bitch for at least a good chunk of my twenties in the run up to becoming a mortgage bitch.

And, in the words of the great Sheryl Crow, I got a feeling I’m not the only one

The angry, educated, mouthy pleb has become an endangered species.

This country is still producing an angry, mouthy underclass but, without a decent education, they don’t know why they’re angry and are more than likely to lash out at the nearest person rather than the people who have fucked them over.

By any measure, social inequality in this country is increasing rapidly and the astonishing thing is that this is happening under a Labour government

A Labour government composed of such staunchly principled MPs as London’s very own Diane Abbott – the kind of Left Wing politician who is resolutely against any form of selective education, unless it's her son’s education, in which case selection by ability to pay is just fine. Well, not really fine, 'indefencible' actually, though I’ve no doubt Junior’s godfather, Tory arms dealer and convicted perjurer Jonathan Aitken was very supportive.

I’m not really sure who I find most repugnant. Her for her hypocrisy or the Muppets who voted her back in.


Diane ‘She’s Black, She can’t be part of the Machine’ Abbott


And if anyone feels the need to post a comment under this blog saying that Abbott is actually a very nice person could they please try a little harder than the person who tried sticking up for Johann Hari the other day.

.

No comments: